Tuesday, March 23, 2010

SXSW Recap

Wow so SXSW has come and gone. So many bands going on all throughout the day. So many lines to wait in. So many free drinks given to you. So many hangovers and so little sleep. This could go down as one of my favorite weeks of all time. The beauty of SXSW is that unlike any other music festival, this takes place all over the city. Music fans and people in the biz come all over the world to see all types of bands. With hundreds of bands playing throughout the week, SXSW is a great indicator of the current state of the music industry. I went in to SXSW to find a growing trend with all the bands, but I was surprised to see that most of the bands were unique in their own way. Here are my list of bands that you need to know about in no particular order.

Royal Bangs

They have cut down to just 3 members but they still have the same sound. These guys are insane live and dominated SXSW. They sound like if TV on the Radio, Late of the Pier, and My Morning Jacket had a baby together. These guys rock! Definitely check them out. Knoxville, TN represent!

Warpaint

These girls have angelic voices from above and rock your face off. It's impressive to see all these talented girls in one band. Warpaint needs to be on your radar. They will not disappoint.

Neon Indian

You should already know about this band. They have been getting pretty big lately. Hard to explain their sound. Check out the song above and you will get an idea how the rest of the songs are. One of the better shows at SXSW.

Local Natives

Catchiest song of SXSW. The harmonies that these guys put up are pretty ridiculous. The show was truly great and their album is all great. The singer might have had an attitude towards me one night but I don't need to get into that... It's good music so check them out!

The Drums

My favorite band of the week. The Drums are bringing the 80s back with their songs. They remind me of a weird mix of The Smiths and Joy Division. I know thats a strong comparison but those are the bands that came to mind while watching these guys. If they come to your area make sure to see them because they put on a great live show.

The Very Best

This band is pretty different than the rest of the bands on the list. These guys are from Malawi and have that African sound in their music. The song above features Vampire Weekend. These guys had great stage presence. Give them a listen if you are interested in more worldly music.

Marina and the Diamonds

Think Feist, Regina Spektor, and Bat for Lashes. That's the type of music that Marina and the Diamonds put out. Good fun show and I love her unique voice.

Real Estate

These guys are labeled "Psychedelic Surf Pop". That might sound like a weird genre but after listening to them, the label makes sense. These guys remind me of good summertime music.

Jeff the Brotherhood

These guys were the most unexpected show for me. I had no idea who they were at all and they just blew me away. Hard to believe that it's just two guys in the band. They are like a faster and less bluesy Black Keys. I really loved these guys and hope they blow up. Their stage presence is great and it was one of the better shows.

Conclusion:
So their you have it folks. Listen to me and give these bands a listen. Or don't give these bands a listen and be that guy that is stubborn is always a couple of months off on good music and doesn't like the band until they are really popular and cool to like (I'm looking at you Knoxville...) But anyway SXSW has been crazy this year and I look forward to going again next year. Now all thats left to do is relax and recover.