Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Yelawolf and Cyhi Da Prynce celebrate Fat Tuesday in NYC


Yelawolf was certainly a highlight of SXSW last year. Ever since I saw him at the Fader Fort, I've been wanting to see him again. I actually had tickets to see him play a New York show in December, but unfortunately got in an argument with the girl I was with and left during the opener.... Don't worry she was one of those "Being nice is a sign of weakness" "Show a girl you're not interested and treat her bad for her to like you" girls... Not my style.. Whatever.. Her loss... Anyway I was really excited when I saw that I'd have another chance to see Yelawolf at the Highline Ballroom. I was even more excited that his opener was Cyhi da Prynce.

Cyhi started things off with a short set that included a couple of verses from Kanye's "So Appalled" and his hit single "Living Wonderful" He played a nice set and had nice energy, but you could tell that he is an album away from really making it big. After his set Yelawolf quickly took the stage and just owned the place. Playing his hits like "Pop the Trunk" "I just want to Party" and "Good to Go" he was all over the place. Dancing in the crowd, climbing on the balcony and even stage diving. His stage presence really improved since last year. One highlight was him starting a song dedicating it to "This one bitch who left me for some Abercrombie wearing mother fucker. Fuck that bitch" He then went on to sing about how she would tell him "You gave me love but love is not enough" This transitioned to him saying "Fuck that bitch I just want to party!" (Cue him performing "I Just Want to Party) Overall the concert was awesome and Yela has developed crazy stage presence. After being signed to Shady Records the sky is the limit for this kid from Alabama.